Yesterday I managed to land a job for the night as an email collector at a gig in town. I'm quite shocked that I got this job as these vacancies usually get snapped up quite quickly. The work required this: to write down as many peoples names and emails as possible within 3 hours whilst they watch a few bands. I had seen these email-people a lot at campus gigs and in London and I've always thought, bloody hell look at him... what a nice job you have. So once I recieved my job outline at the jobshop on campus i thought to myself, piece of piss! Easy! Well....not quite. I was about to enter the weird world of audience targeted PR. OK OK I'm not exactly Max Clifford, but still it was hard and I felt like a charlatan, walking around, telling lies desperately pleasing anyone who would give me their personal details. Most were pleased to sign-up, some were even excited ('oh great, cheers, yeah nice one mate, brilliant, thanks...'), however others could not bare to look at me-as if I were the devil himself.. 'naa fanks mate'. These I enjoyed the most. They would cut in before I'd even have time to draw breath and open my mouth. All in all it was a difficult balancing act and I quickly lost patience and saliva in my mouth to carry on. I skedaddled a little earlier than expected, handed a few flyers at the door and zoomed of feeling a bit guilty and weird. I didn't enjoy what I did last night, and I'm glad I've never desired a PR/talking to people type job. If I felt dirty and cheap after two hours, god knows what it is like doing it week in week out.
On the plus side I saw a good live band, which of course is a rarity. www.myspace.com/thehoosiers
Apart from that, ive been listening to the Kinks day in day out. Im sure the honeymoon will end with this band but at the moment Im besotted with Ray Davies and his witty little mouth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment