Tuesday, 25 September 2007

Even good news is bad news.

London, I guess, is a bit like one of those slot machines in amusement parks-the ones where the shelves slide on top of each other and when you put money in you have a chance of getting some out. Ha! The trick is though that if you dont know where to put the money (or if you run out o money) you probably wont win much. In fact you will probably lose all your money and think 'what was the point in that?' Right now that's almost how I feel, but not quite. Im willing to give this adventure a run for its money (no pun intended).

The title of this update refers to the news I got today. My tutor emailed me to say that I had got the GTA teaching post at uni for one hour a week. At first I was thrilled, but then I started to realise that it wasn't really worth doing-the money I would get would barely pay for the train and my lunch. It would of course be a great experience and it would look great on the CV. But I really have to think things through.

This then got me thinking on the bus home. My problems are ridiculously trivial compared to others-but- other peoples woes are ridiculous in comparison to mine. I cant start my Phd for financial reasons, in fact I still havent paid for my masters yet. You could say that im living well beyond my means. In all honesty I dont mind, im doing something I want to do. Im living in London, im experiencing it all and Im going to give it a try. I will pay my debts and go on living. Of course there are many people out there who dont have a degree let alone any education, or a roof over their heads, so therefore my woes are trivial to the extreme. However there are people out there who dont know how lucky they are and have what they desire but still complain. I brush pass them everyday to work, I even know a few. Nonetheless I will continue in this London experience (thats what it has become in conversations and in my mind) and I will try my best to start the Phd whether its at in the UK or elsewhere.

No comments: