Sunday, 30 November 2008

What has become of the green pleasant fields of Jerusalem?

Today we will see the Lord Turner and the Committee for Climate Change flex their muscles for what is surely to be the most untimely advancement in the last three years of the world going 'green'. The Committee will essentially set out emission targets for the the present and distant future governments at a time when most people are losing sleep on how they can feed their consumer habits. Economics and Environmental Policy have apparently never seen eye to eye - that is until the Stern review of 2006 which essentially predicted what is happening right now: the economy works with ecology. If were having difficulty digging it out of the ground and pumping it into the air then we're going to have difficulty filling our bellies with food. So here we are, 2008 will soon see in 2009 and will ultimately bring us to one of the biggest recession the west has witnessed. It will cost Europe at least twice as much as the two world wars put together. Scared? Well, Lord Turner doesnt seem to be. Lord Turner, you see is also the new Chairman of the FSA and is also backing the Government with the expansion of Heathrow. You just cant make these things up.

We will have to wait and see if today's news will put the UK at the foreground of emission targets but what is more interesting and important for me is whether we have learnt anything in the last few years? Surely now is the time to start growing your own potatoes in your back yard? To cycle to work on that bike, to stop those cheap flight holidays and pull on the extra cardigan for the sake of the electricity bill? I've been thinking of what I should do with this blog for a while and there's just one thing for it - it has to turn into a 'holier than thou' green blog. I cant hide it anymore, I cant resist the smugness of cycling everywhere I go and recycling everything I buy (almost). Being green is like being a Catholic...you've got to spread the word.

No comments: