Wednesday, 2 May 2007

London Calling

That's a crap title but I couldn't think of any other. Yesterday I went to London yesterday for an interview. On the way up there i felt really good, in my suit, clean shaven, reading my guardian..'yeah this is the life' I thought to myself. I read a few good articles and all in all I imagined myself strolling into the big smoke on a daily basis. The weather was glorious and people were buzzing around Liverpool and Finsbury. I had an hour to kill so I looked around the Finsbury area. The best thing about London for me is that although you're right in the thick of it, theres always a little park or lane that takes you back to Victorian times. But yesterday I found a real gem. A 5 minute walk from Liverpool Street takes you to Bunhill Fields, a small graveyard where William Blake was buried. The small shed-like information desk told me that the non conformists of London were buried here in the field. The Cromwell's are there, Daniel Defoe (Robinson Crusoe) Thomas Foxwell Buxton (anti slavery protester) and various other liberals of the time. i had totally forgot about William Blake. Being there at his grave was creepy and great at the same time. Blake was a poet and illustrator who based his work on the Old testament but It was also a well known fact that he was also a rebel against the Catholic Church. I read his work at A level and although it was based on religion It was also based on the beauty of the Natural world and the innocence of children. Im not going to pretend to a fan or know all about him but I do remember thinking that his work was relatively good and strange.

I took a quick look at The Cromwells, De-Foe and John Bunyans grave before going to the interview. The interview went ok, i felt confident and said all the things that I could say. As soon as I left the interview and got the train home i had a slight feeling of disgust. I couldn't shake the feeling off for most of the day until I got home. I started to read for my essay and then it all hit me. I dont want to work for money and be rich and represent a ridiculous law companies. I dont belong to that patriarchal world where everyday is a constant competition. Ive seen a lot of that in the law department over the years. Young arrogant people who will do anything to get a training contract.

I wont say that it was a waste of time. It was a good experience. I was quite confident, and managed to make my work history look a lot better than it actually is. I learnt that I dont have to be in a job that i dont want to do. Theres millions of people out there doing jobs that they dont want to do, struggling day in day out. i dont want that, Id rather struggle a bit longer and be in something that I enjoy. Ive been told hundreds of times that I 'really should find a job' but why?
Its a highly simplistic statement but I know various people who are doing a job that they love, which was their choice and that they carry out everyday to the full.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you found Bunhill fields, i've always really wanted to go there, basically for the Cromwells.

It's strange, i was talking to someone about the whole job thing today, i was basically saying in someways what you said, getting a job now would ultimatly be the easy option, avoiding the struggle for what i ultimatly want, although in the short term, getting 'any job' may make life easier. But like you say, why would anyone want that? Just for the sake of it?

It's part of that working class 'get a job you lazy kid' mentality i think

Matt