Thursday, 29 November 2007

I’ve pretty much hit bottom today at work. In fact i think I've realised the major criticism of working in a 9-5 job: there’s no point in me being here. I should be at home, I’m wasting time and energy sitting in an office doing nothing all day. Of course this I cant go home-I wont get paid, so I’m left to sit here to do some 'work' (ie copy and pasting my update from word).

I want to be honest with the employers (HM Government) and say something. I want to jump on my desk and tell them. 'look im not doing anything, and nor is anyone else! Were all sitting here writing emails to our partners and friends. Were all in meetings summoning up vacuous guff about nothing! Were all drinking tea because there’s nothing to do! But I wont, I'll just fill my time-sheet in and wait for the ship to sink.

Apart from the fact that no one really does anything here, there’s also the overwhelming physical presence of men-fat men to precise - who sit around and talk absolute twaddle. The whole building is swarming with them. They’re in the canteen, the hallways, the meeting rooms, in the toilets, they’re even in front of me now waffling about...well nothing really. I'd say 80% of the high-paid jobs are held by men in their 40/50 who's jobs include saying 'yah yah yah' very loudly. They obviously deserve to be there by default but some of the questions and comments they ask others or I am asked sum up their level of intelligence. Heres a few of my favourites...

-Where’s the out-post tray?
-Can I minimise this internet explorer thing?
-Can you change my ring tone for me? ('no not that one that sounds too gay').
-I’m not giving to children in need, I’d rather give to the soldiers in Iraq.

No comments: