I hardly ever look forward to a TV programme but today was the return of Louis Theroux. I never watched Louis the first time round but I read his book over Christmas and downloaded his weird weekends series. Tonight's episode saw Louis with the most hated family in a America, a group of 70 odd religious zealots made up of an entire family. Liberal Louis gets into his usual scraps with Americas sub cultures climaxing to conclude yet another sad group of individuals lost in the madness that is America. The documentaries are not exactly ground braking, its more of Louis interviewing technique that's inspiring. In a time when British stars are breaking America (Sacha Baron Cohen, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais..) Louis Theroux has managed to creep in the back door. Although he holds a dual citizenship (his father, Paul, an American travel writer) Louis maintains his Britishness, goofy glasses and odd dress sense. Together with his quick wit, charm, observational skills and tactfulness he manages to win over his subjects easing them into a sense of security. But what is overwhelming is his ability to come across as a slightly naive Brit who craves for his subjects acceptance. This last aspect seals the deal and you have yourself am hour of drama followed by comic relief.
Most of the weird weekends that I have seen include some odd and slightly unnerving characters. However what Louis manages to do is turn a few nasty people into deluded and sometimes sad individuals.
I also saw Ricky Gervais' The Extras, which was surprisingly good. I must admit that his face had started to annoy me after The Office Christmas special had been repeated 12 times but Extras comes clean with the goods. This is partly to do with the presence of co writer Steve Merchant. Hes already a slightly odd looking guy let alone his height. Come to think of it, it amazes me how these two met.
Every now and then, there is this barrage of press who claim that British Comedy is dead and that the BBC will never recover from the likes of Del Boy or One foot in the grave. The thing is is that we are now looking at a new generation of comedians, If anything we have already missed them with our constant moaning of how good the past was. Gone are the days of repetitive one liners character comedy and lovable rogues, British Comedy now has Gervais, The Mighty Boosh, Dylan Moran, Mitchell and Webb. I think its high time we stop comparing Matt Lucas and David Walliams to Dick Emery and celebrate the British new wave!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment