Today I had a really odd moment in town. I went to claim our deposit back form the letting agent (which has been reduced from £500 to £480 due to a non existent door bell that we stole) and was stopped by a SGR Colchester radio reporter asking what I thought about Tony Blairs departure and Gordon Browns entrance. Although I have a hell of a lot to say about this, i just couldn't sum it up in two sentences, which is what the reporter wanted. Like most of these moments in life it was only after the action has taken place you realise what you should have said. The thing that struck me the most though was that the reporter worded the questions in such a way that it was almost impossible to make a positive comment. 'So would you like to say good ridence to Tony Blair?'...'What do you think about the uncomfortable Gordon Brown?' What could I answer to these? I knew that the majority of people before me have probably answered something negative like ' yeah hes a nob and I pray he dies of cancer and I hope Brown sorts out all these migrants..i mean my 16 year old son cant find any work'. So I wanted to say something good, something witty, something intelligent, something that makes the reporter go 'hmm good point'. At first I tried to decline the invitation to talk but in the end I furrowed my brow and said 'yeah I hope Gordon doesn't forget the students'
What a plonker.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I kept an eye out for those people in town today, but alas they didn't come anywhere near me. It would have been fun, trying to make a positive comments to those incredibly pessimistic questions
Matt
Ha! I was so close to saying to the girl, 'hang on a minute, if you just walk 5 minutes in that direction i know a guy who will give you a two hour lecture on Tony and Gordon and possibly a nice cup of tea'.
But I didnt.
Oh Dave, how i wish you had of done that, i'm always willing to give nice cups of tea and 2 hour lectures on poltics
Another time maybe?
Post a Comment