Monday, 16 July 2007

Its 5am and I havent had much sleep. Most of the night I have been dreaming, most of which have been quite surreal. I usually have no problem at all sleeping but i know its the amount of pressure i have been under. The first dream is a reoccurring one: Im at my nans old house in Pitsea where I spent quite a lot of my childhood. I know this house very well, but its quite dark and I become lost. I start to panic but then realise where I am, as I reach out for the light switch Its not where I expect it should be. I fumble around trying to trace the switch up and down the wall but I just cant find it. Then I woke up. Usually In this dream I am lost or just walking around my nans house, sometimes its how it used to be when I was a little boy, all the furniture, pictures on the wall, and other times its empty, bare, which is how i last remember this house when she died. But what always happens in the dream is that I meet my nan on the stairs and shes smiling. Whereas in this one I dont recover, nor see my nan and i just wake up.

The second dream I had was one ive never had before. Im in the middle of Helsinki with my dad and its snowing. He starts to say things like 'oh its like Russia' and 'those Russians ruin everything'. I try to explain to my dad that you cant say this, its like saying Scotland is like England or England is just like America. Finnish people would find this really insultive, they have had many wars with the Russians, and yes at times they have been under occupation but for nearly 100 years they have had Independence and are proud of it. etc. He doesnt understand this, so we go to a pub and have a drink. I go to order two drinks, knowing what to say in Finnish but the words dont come out and so I panic and leave.

Last night I had the classic zombie dream, but it was one of those dreams that continue throughout the night. I dont know what these dreams mean as im no Freud expert. I dont think I want to really know what they mean as either as I think they are too obvious to me.

The good news is that Im awake for the day and maybe I'll get some of this bloody dissertation done.

No comments: