Tuesday, 3 July 2007

Fuck This Shit

Not my words of course, but the words of a graffiti artist on the laundrette walls at Essex. Nonetheless this is how I'm feeling. Yesterday I went to see a professor at Canterbury, who I hoped would put me in touch with someone within the department. The meeting didn't go very well to say the least and the whole day left me feeling a little reeling. The main thing was that he did not understand my idea at all and could not relate it to a legal context, to which there is no recovery or comeback. After this he pretty much said that I should reconsider it all and maybe my thinking over the next year will 'mature'. Thankfully Matt and Vuokko came to Canterbury and we had a good chat about it all. I know that this professor misunderstood me and that I should take confidence from the good words that I have received from various tutors at Essex but I cant help but feel that all my thoughts over the Masters programme have been crushed. I will just have to plough on with this week and dissertation and hopefully I will be laughing about this in the future but for now I feel quite drained.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure one day Dave you will be laughing about that whole day at Canterbury. Your PhD idea is totally worthwhile and something that the academic world needs, which that guy yesterday sort of proved.

I'm sure wherever you end up, be it Essex or elsewhere, you'll produce a work worthy of shoving back in that guy's face until he crys and begs for forgiveness, or something like that